Halisahar, the birthplace of many renowned political, social and spiritual reformers, got its own Municipality in 1903, although urbanization of Halisahar town was recognized in 1869 within NaihatiMunicipality. The present HalisaharMunicipality is occupying 8.29 sq. km. area to serve a population of 1.35 lakhs.
Halisahar town has a long past with the recorded history from the Sena Dynasty (1060-1220 AD). The record says that Halisahar was named as Kumarhatta during the rule of the Pathan Dynasty and was renamed Haveli Sahar (The City of Palaces) during Mughal era. In the “Ain-e-Akbari”, AbulFazal- the member of the court of the Mughal emperor Akbar, recorded annual revenue collection of Haveli Sahar as 8093 sikka. It is said, one RohiniSutradhar of Kumarhatta- Halisahar helped Maharaja Man Singh, one of the army chief of Emperor Akbar to cross the River Hooghly to fight and capture Maharaja Patapaditya. It was a place of Port and Ship-making Industry during the Pal Dynasty.
Halisahar has always played a pivotal role in the Religion of time and was never ebbed from the tidal force of the time’s need. While it gave the society persons like IswarPuri, SadhakRamprosad, Rani Rashmoni, it also martyred its son Sri RajibLochan Roy at Baharampur Military camp as a soldier of the First war of Independence of India in 1857 and gave birth to the revolutionary BipinBehariGanguly to fight against British rule, which was the Religion of that time. For all these, the Halisahar is an attractive spot for tourism bearing the Heritage of Temples, Mosques and Churches.
The Municipality has 69 primary schools including 13 private primary schools consisting of total 8,321 students, 11 secondary schools consisting of 18,815 students and 8 libraries. The Municipality is very near – adjacent to the KalyaniUniversity, Bidhan Chandra KrishiVishwaVidyalaya, major hubs for education and training.
Culturally it was famous for ‘Toles’ for Sanskrit teachings. ‘HalisaharPatrika’ was published in the Mid 19th century, ‘Sangbad Prabhakar’ in 1931. Good-Will Fraternity was established in 1854 for social work and literary program for the poor and First English–medium school was founded in 1848.
Malaria spreaded in Halisahar in 1852, but the first private charitable dispensary was established in 1887 by Col. Dr. K.P.Gupta (MD, FRCS). He donated land and building for establishment of Municipality Office.
The Municipal Authority, with such a glorious past, is stepping forward for improvement of the lifestyle of its citizens by providing services to all sections, with particular emphasis to the poorest of the poor, focusing on revenue generation by all possible means with Capacity Development and Process Improvement, utilizing updated technology with computerization.
As economic development alone is not enough for human development and therefore, all out efforts are being taken for improvement of social, educational, livelihood, preventive and curative medical facilities, in addition to the required infrastructure development coupled with environmental up-liftment through proper land use.
Year of Establishment and Administrative Boundaries:
The HalisaharMunicipality was established in the year of 1903 and located at the northern end of the District of North 24 Parganas. This Municipality is situated on the eastern bank of the River Hooghly, surrounded by the border of Kalyani Municipality of Nadia District at the north, NaihatiMunicipality at the south, and KanchraparaMunicipality and Halisahar Railway Station at the east. The geographical location of the Municipality is 22 degree 57 minutes 15 second north axis of the latitude and 88 degree 26 minutes 22 seconds east axis of the longitude.